Executor Guide for British Columbia
|Download PDF of Wikibook|
Welcome to the Executor Guide for BC, a free public resource provided by Heritage Law. This is a living document, updated for the Wills, Estates, and Succession Act, that will evolve with British Columbia's law on estate planning and estate administration.
The Executor Guide for BC is intended as a resource only and not as legal advice. It has been broken up into various sections so that you can easily navigate to the information that is relevant to your specific legal issue. A print version of the Guide is available for download as both an e-pub and pdf.
- Using this Wikibook · Basics of Estate Law In BC · What is an Executor · Who Is the Executor · Finding the Will · Wills Notice · A Sample Application for Search of Wills Notice · If There Is No Will · Estate Administration · Interstate Succession · Order of Interstate Succession · Notice of Application for Spousal Home · Partial Intestacy · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulations and Forms
- Death and Dying · Final Estate Planning · Resources · Books · Online and Phone Resources · Legislation · Regulations and Forms
- Duties · What to Do When Someone Has Died: A General Checklist · Funeral Arrangements · Death Certificate · Notice to Creditors · Flow Chart of Executor's Duties and Responsibilities · Getting a Lawyer · Documents to Provide to a Lawyer · Lawyer's Fees · The Law on Lawyer's Fees · If You Proceed Without a Lawyer · Risks · Claims Against Executors · Avoiding Liability · Executor Fees and Expenses · Executor Fees · Deciding Not to Be Executor · Deemed Renunciation · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulations and Forms
4. THE WILL
- Valid Wills · Witness and Signatures · Signature Irregularities · Capacity · Duress or Undue Influence · Probate · Proof in Common Form · Steps to Prove a Will in Common Form · Completing Form P1 · Applying for a Probate Grant in Form P3 · Applying for a Probate Grant in Form P4 · Proof in Solemn Form · Challenges to a Will · Proceeding for proof of a will in solemn form · No Probate Required in Some Cases · Court Direction on Distribution of Assets · Distribution of estate under direction of court · Working With a Lawyer on the Probate Application · Documents Required for an Estate Grant · Documents to be filed in an application · Filing of wills · After Receiving a Grant of Probate · Grant Worksheet · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulations and Forms
- Small Estates · Making an Inventory · Listing the Estate Assets and Liabilities · How to List the Estate Assets and Liabilities · Accounts at Bank or Financial Institutions · Investments · Real Estate · Land Title Act Provisions · Foreign Assets · Collections and Miscellaneous Assets · Controlling and Preserving Assets · Suggestions for Safeguarding Assets · Assets Passing Outside a Will · Life Insurance · Conflicts Between Insurance and Wills · Designation in will · Real Property · Designated Beneficiaries · Benefit plans, pensions, TFSAs, RRSPs and RRIFs · Wages · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulation and Forms
- Debts · Taxes · Estate Tax Return Information and Deadlines · Filing the Final T1 General Income Tax and Benefit Return · Optional Return: T1 Return for Rights & Things · Return Filing Deadlines · Deadline for Previous Year T1 Personal Returns · Deadline for Final Return (With Testamentary Spousal or Common Law Partner Trust) · Deadline for Separate T1 Return for Rights and Things · Due Dates for Balances Owing · Filing of T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return · Filing and Payment Deadlines · Clearance Certificate · Non-Resident Beneficiary · Request for a Compliance Certificate · Capital Gains · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulations and Forms
- Creation of a Trust · Investments · Particular Trusts · Testamentary Trust · Inter Vivos Trusts · Life Estate · Constructive Trust · Legal Claims of Constructive Trust · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulations and Forms
- Types of Gifts · Failed Gifts · Invalid Gifts · Revocation · Ademption · Uncertainty · Charitable trusts · Dependants' Relief · Family Compensation Actions and Conflicts of Laws · Disputes · Disputing an Estate Grant · Wills Variation Claims · Providing for Spouse and Child · Adoption · Effect of adoption · Family Assets · Excluded Assets · Disposition · Executor’s Year · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulation and Forms
- Accounts · Check Limitation Periods · Releases · Closing Accounts and Paying Final Fees · Passing of Accounts · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulations and Forms
10. LEGAL OVERVIEW
- Estates Law Generally · Estate Litigation · Estate Litigation Limitation Periods · Wills Variation Proceedings · Recent Legal Changes · Resources · Online Resources · Legislation · Regulations and Forms